November 7, 2012
- crazygemini12: Thank you so much for this, as I was wondering the...
- Mandisa Morgan: Thank you so much for this. The emperor is very na...
- Holmes: I guess no one that for black to survive they must...
- New Black Woman: You do realize you can't compare the word Yankee a...
- dbolander: I think that's absurd. Yankee was a word meant to ...
- Black women don’t owe you shit September 22, 2013
- I am no longer a feminist December 3, 2011
- >Toby Keith’s ode to lynching July 31, 2008
- >Are they serious? February 18, 2009
- In calling Quvenzhane Wallis a cunt, The Onion perpetuates status quo on black femininity February 25, 2013
- Where’s the public policy push for black, Latina girls? March 4, 2014
- Racism, misogyny hound Cécile Kyenge, Italy’s first black minister January 20, 2014
- What Phil Robertson Also Said December 19, 2013
- “Why make a caricature of what are complex feelings for some black women?” December 18, 2013
- Does black feminism keep black manhood “on the margins?” December 14, 2013
My short skirt
My short skirt is not an invitation
a provocation an indication that I want it
or give it or that I hook.
My short skirt is not begging for it
It does not want you to rip it off me or pull it down.
My short skirt is not a legal reason for raping me,
although it has been before it will not hold up in the new court.
My short skirt, believe it or not has nothing to do with you.
I’m black and I’m proud
They take my kindness for. . . . . WEAKNESS.
They take my silence for. . . . . SPEECHLESS.
They consider my uniqueness. . . . . STRANGE.
They call my language. . . . . . SLANG.
They see my confidence as. . . . . CONCEIT.
They see my mistakes as. . . . . DEFEAT.
They consider my success. . . . . ACCIDENTAL.
They minimize my intelligence to. . . . . POTENTIAL.
My questions mean I am. . . . . UNAWARE.
My advancement is somehow. . . . . UNFAIR.
To voice concern is. . . . . DISCONTENTMENT.
If I stand up for myself I am too. . . . . DEFENSIVE.
If I don't trust them I am too. . . . . APPREHENSIVE.
I am defiant if I. . . . . SEPARATE.
I am fake if I. . . . . ASSIMILATE.
My character is constantly. . . . . UNDER ATTACK.
Pride for my race makes me. . . . .TOO BLACK.